From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, Tucker I Sylvestro <tsyl1@×××.EDU>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo installation modifications for 3ware cards
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:57:53
1 On Thursday 23 May 2002 03:11 am, Tucker I Sylvestro wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I spent the today (yesterday now, actually ;) installing gentoo linux on
5 > my computer which contains a 3ware Escalade 6410 RAID card. Since the
6 > 3ware drivers aren't compiled into the stock installation kernel that
7 > comes on your 1.1a CD, I had to jump through some hoops to make it work,
8 > and I wrote up a rough HOWTO as I went along. It is attached, in case you
9 > want to put it on the website somewhere. I recommend doing so, as such a
10 > document would have saved me several hours today.
11 >
12 > Also, you might want to consider activating the 3ware drivers in the
13 > installation kernel in your next release. I don't know of any downsides
14 > to doing so, and 3ware is a company that specifically targets the Linux
15 > market by providing source code for the drivers.
16
17 Hi Tucker,
18
19 Nice job on the howto. I have an escalade 7850 on my gentoo/source-mage
20 system at home (dual boot) and was able to install just fine from the gento
21 1.1a disk. The 3w-xxxx drivers were available on the cd, so all I had to do
22 was a
23
24 modprobe 3w-xxxx
25
26 and my scsi device was recognized. Of course, then you have modprobe the scsi
27 disk module to see the drives themselves. Are you sure you didn't overlook
28 the drivers when you booted of the cdrom, or are you using an older cdrom to
29 install perhaps?
30
31 I did not need to do any of the compilation steps you did to bootstrap the
32 initial mount of /mnt/gentoo, or did I have to create /dev/sda or /dev/sdb
33 IIRC.
34
35 Jean.