From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proxy maintainership and gentoo-x86 scm
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:54:36
1 On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 03:59:00AM +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:51 AM, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
3 > > My bad. I did the tests a while back, and the number "30,000" is
4 > > actually for the no. of ebuilds in portage. The no. of files is
5 > > actually ~113,000 (difference comes because every package has a
6 > > manifest+changelog+metadata.xml+patches).
7 > Further refinement: ~92,000
8 >
9 > Removed metadata/ (-28,000 which won't be around in the git tree), and
10 > ChangeLog (-13,000 which would be redundant, and should be
11 > auto-generated alongwith metadata prior to distribution via rsync.
12 > Hey, this is something that needs to be done too!)
13 ChangeLog != commit logs.
14
15 There is frequently additional information in the CVS commit messages
16 that isn't in the ChangeLogs. ChangeLogs aren't always updated reliably
17 either, esp for ebuild cleanups (hi vapier).
18
19 The actual performance of git itself isn't the largest problem.
20 The migration issues, esp. the speed of the conversion are.
21
22 My status of the migration side itself hasn't changed since the end of
23 October:
24 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-scm/msg_e0a0a41200c1fc6a0fda68b4ff9d2c61.xml
25
26 That top item is the largest blocker. The actual conversion time is down
27 to 9 hours, but with more than that again in setting it up. I'd like to
28 get the conversion time down to UNDER 4 hours. It's mostly
29 single-threaded, and we've got lots of cores available, it just needs
30 parallelization. We're basically dead in the water during the
31 conversion, there is NO incremental support at all.
32
33 Side-project to the above: Is there anything link Psyco for Python
34 acceleration that works on 64-bit machines? Psyco itself has a warning
35 on the frontpage of no 64-bit support.
36
37 pre-upload-hook: ford_prefect, can I have something by Jan 21st please?
38 Even just the core C infrastructure for the hook.
39
40 For the partial tree users, the support is actually IN 1.6.6 series. It
41 needs a little more cooking I think however, there are some patches
42 queued for it, that will probably end up in 1.6.6.1 or similar.
43
44 We DO still need somebody that cares about CVS access to test with
45 git-cvssserver against the existing conversion.
48 Robin Hugh Johnson
49 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
50 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
51 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85