From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Closing bugs
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:10:33
1 On Saturday 11 of September 2010 20:51:56 justin wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > is the following comment an adequate way to close bugs with
5 > RESOLVED/INVALID? If so, I will change the way I handle bugs and use it
6 > too.
7 >
8 > ""
9 > virtual/os-headers: 2.6.35 (sys-kernel/linux-headers)
10 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
11 >
12 > you mix stable & unstable -> your problem
13 > ""
14
15 This is common misconception.
16
17 Let me quote myself from on of Diego's blogs, accusing me of not giving a crap
18 about quality wrt FEATURES=test.
19
20 Some people say that mixing testing and stable subtrees is ‘broken’ and not
21 supported.
22
23 It is because they apparently have no idea how package stabilization process
24 works.
25
26 ‘tinderbox’ idea of full ~arch integration tests is broken by design!
27
28 Why? Gentoo is distribution with rolling updates and packages being stabilized
29 are hand picked from ~arch and integrated within existing stable environment
30 (along with possible dependencies).
31
32 Now the question arises – since Gentoo stable is our ultimate target release
33 (and not ~arch) - what is the point in testing how these packages interact
34 with full testing ~arch? The answer is NONE!
35
36 If any, following tests should be run:
37
38 - regression tests – ONLY within full stable arch, typical tinderbox of just
39 chroot would fit there well, it could prevent issues like Gentoo LiveCD
40 autobuilds failing since 8 April…
41
42 - integration tests – in similar way stabilization process is performed:
43 stable system as a base, picking packages or package sets for tests along with
44 their possible dependencies (best version visible, if not visible within
45 stable arch, then best visible within testing arch or some other algorithm,
46 usually just relying on ebuild dependencies) and testing whether it works so
47 that stabilization process is a formality.
48
49 Running ~arch as 'test' platform is in many cases counter productive.
52 regards
53 MM