From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] category ambiguity
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 02:02:10
1 On 00:12 Fri 08 Feb , Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:56:43 -0800
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On 15:12 Wed 06 Feb , Alec Warner wrote:
6 > > > On 2/4/08, Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@×××××××××.cc> wrote:
7 > > > > On 2/4/08, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
8 > > > > > On 20:11 Mon 04 Feb , Jonas Bernoulli wrote:
9 > > > > > > Thinking about it again I would say tags and categories just
10 > > > > > > fulfill different purposes. Tags can not replace categories
11 > > > > > > but might be a useful extension to categories for the tasks I
12 > > > > > > described, not more not less. They are not better or worse,
13 > > > > > > just different:)
14 > > > > >
15 > > > > > Why don't you think they can replace categories?
16 > > > >
17 > > > > Quick answer: Because there are packages with the same name in
18 > > > > different categories. How would tags deal with that?
19 > > >
20 > > > Techincally you could enforce UNIQUE(pkg,[tags]), I agree thats a
21 > > > poor constraint though ;)
22 > >
23 > > I would probably print the ambiguous package name, with info on each
24 > > package, and a list of tags unique to each that could be used to
25 > > specify which one you want. Perhaps a numbered list too.
26 >
27 > That only works for the user interface, not so good for depend strings,
28 > config files and pretty much everything else.
29
30 I don't think categories are the best way of resolving ambiguities,
31 because they don't uniquely identify a package. One could imagine two
32 packages in the same category with the same name (for example, two
33 Python modules that do drastically different things but would go in
34 dev-python).
35
36 I'm not sure what the best way is, but I don't think it's categories.
37 Perhaps some sort of UUID for packages? You could treat unique tags like
38 categories, but those could also be duplicated.
39
40 Thanks,
41 Donnie
42 --