From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why is the security team running around p.masking packages
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 19:42:07
1 On 07/05/2016 01:17 PM, NP-Hardass wrote:
2 > On 07/05/2016 09:07 AM, james wrote:
3 >> On 07/05/2016 06:25 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> The subject of this particular mailing list post is a little alarming
7 >>>> and
8 >>>> over reactive. We are not running around p.masking everyone's
9 >>>> packages, but
10 >>>> issues that have been outstanding for years often result in such
11 >>>> courses of
12 >>>> action. I personally told Anthony I should have requested his
13 >>>> assistance
14 >>>> initially on the matter, and I do apologize for that. He is an active
15 >>>> developer who would respond in a timely manner. So once again, I do
16 >>>> apologize.
17 >>>
18 >>> Thanks, and my intent wasn't to suggest that I thought there was any
19 >>> kind of a trend here. I just wanted to agree that this shouldn't be
20 >>> how it happens. It sounds like we're already on the same page, which
21 >>> isn't surprising since this was the first complaint I've heard in a
22 >>> while.
23 >>>
24 >>>> Finally, that does not dissolve the developer of providing usable,
25 >>>> substantiated, and verifiable information regarding the vulnerabilities.
26 >>>> The idea that a developer gets to choose whether or not they do so
27 >>>> should
28 >>>> not be considered.
29 >>>
30 >>> Also agree. I think we need to have a reasonable security policy, but
31 >>> clearly there can't be unresolved questions about whether a particular
32 >>> package-version is vulnerable or not. If we don't get a question like
33 >>> that resolved in a timely manner then the version should be masked.
34 >>> Users can then make an informed decision as to whether they want to
35 >>> take the risk in unmasking it.
36 >>>
37 >>> Our security policies are a tree-wide QA commitment that our users
38 >>> rely on. We shouldn't advertise a security policy that we aren't
39 >>> willing to enforce.
40 >>
41 >> As an old C hack, and user of gentoo for over a decade, I understand the
42 >> positions being articulated herein. However, I think there is a
43 >> fundamental perspective that is missing, so I shall attempt to
44 >> illuminate that perspective. 'C' is still a magical and most important
45 >> language. It is the transitive language between large, complicated
46 >> systems, and hardware. Like it or not, without hardware, there are no
47 >> systems.
48 >>
49 >> There are many new and modern languages with wonderful features. I get
50 >> that, and appreciated that they are needed and desired. But modern
51 >> (security and usefulness) metrics are being applied to old codes that
52 >> are useful for a variety of reasons, beyond compiling them and using them.
53 >>
54 >> There is an intersection between minimal unix (minimal gentoo in our
55 >> case) and embedded systems. Docker, many would cite as the leader in
56 >> commercial container deployments, has realized that minimal is better,
57 >> faster, easier to secure and can always be 'scaled up' by adding more
58 >> codes (hence they subsumed Alpine Linux).
59 >>
60 >> Gentoo has a rich, legacy in old, simpler codes that bridge embedded
61 >> linux to (bloated/full-featured) linux. Those old codes that appear to
62 >> many as useless, indeed form a narrow bridge to both the past and the
63 >> logic/tricks/methods to get various types of hardware working in a
64 >> minimal or embedded environment. They are often 'single function' codes
65 >> without the complexity of a gui or bloated formations. They are easy to
66 >> read and with a CLI focus, allow a developer to see how some things
67 >> work. Those old codes, folks are quick to purge now, often contain
68 >> logical information on how to talk to hardware. (think ethernet for one).
71 >> So when we had 'the attic' I was fine with codes being purged by
72 >> whomever. There is no easy to use equivalent in github (and believe me,
73 >> I'm a noooooob at github), so I have much anxiety about what, from my
74 >> perspective, appears to be needless purging of many old codes. I have no
75 >> problem with removal from the official tree, but I'd like to keep them
76 >> around, regardless of any security, brokeness or un-maintained status. I
77 >> completely OK with tree-cleaning, just a soon as the ink dries on the
78 >> new wiki pages that guarantee archival of old codes. Security, is
79 >> important, but not the main issue from my perspective. Maintenance of
80 >> old codes, particularly written in C and related to hardware or logic of
81 >> minimal systems, is keenly important to me. If gentoo remains 'a good
82 >> stuart' of these codes, it just another mechanism
83 >> to distinguish our distro, imho.
84 >>
85 >> So I would ask (beg if necessary) the kind folks that are the gentoo
86 >> devs to figure out a way to archive those old codes, and document how to
87 >> retrieve them, via github, as the attic too is probably like sunrise and
88 >> such, headed towards deprecation and the chopping block.....
91 >> Thanks,
92 >> James
96 > Here's a solution that handles that doesn't require fancy git knowledge
97 > and uses Gentoo infrastructure:
98 >
99 > 1) Navigate to https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git (or any other
100 > gentoo repo)
101 > 2) Click "Tree"
102 > 3) Navigate to the level ABOVE the one you are interested in, for
103 > example, if you want app-misc/foobar, navigate into app-misc.
104 > 4) To the right of your desired entry, click "Log"
105 > 5) This will display the history of the package, allowing you to browse
106 > it at any time, (you in particular want the one before the ebuild was
107 > removed) (Click your desired commit)
108 > 6) Click the name of the category/package on the "Tree" line to view the
109 > tree at that point in time. ie,
110 > tree 02d93ae662fb1a813380775612e35e819d67e303
111 > /app-accessibility/SphinxTrain (you would click
112 > "app-accessibility/SphinxTrain"
113 > 7) View and download your desired files by clicking on "Plain" on the right
114 >
115 > Protips:
116 > *You can view the log of any package (removed or not) with:
117 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/log/<category>/<pkgname>
118 >
119 > *You can view files as of last commit before removal of any package with:
120 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/<category>/<pkgname>?id=<lastcommitbeforeremoval>
121 >
122 > * If you don't know the last commit before removal, juts load up the
123 > removal commit and copy the commit hash of the "Parent" link to get the
124 > commit before that
125 >
126 > Tada! Attic restored ^_~
127
128 Not bad, at first glance. Not too bad at all! Let me work with this a bit.
129
130 THANKS!
131
132 James