From: Riyad Kalla <rsk@×××××××××.edu>
To: pantera@×××××.org, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] gcc and qt
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:07:18
1 Pieter,
2 Did you emerge QT 3.1.1 then reemerge the KDE libs? I don't know if this
3 is "overkill" but is it possible that would have fixed the situation?
4
5 I've seen quite a few people mention the surprise of emerging a new QT
6 lib, then having KDE break... I sort of assume this to happen since you
7 are changing the underlying lib, but maybe I am the one that is
8 mistaken.
9
10 I've done this so much now that I've not ever bothered to check if
11 emerge can detect this... i.e. I upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 QT, does emerge
12 know that I should recompile my KDE libs? (base/lib, and annything else
13 important).
14
15 I wouldn't normally do this unless its required, as it takes so long :(,
16 so it would be great if emerge could suggest or warn me about it.
17
18 Any thoughts?
19
20 -Riyad
21
22 > -----Original Message-----
23 > From: Pieter Breed [mailto:pantera@×××××.org]
24 > Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 7:40 AM
25 > To: gentoo-dev@g.o
26 > Subject: [gentoo-dev] gcc and qt
29 > Hi
30 >
31 > I am just reporting two problems I had and what I did to fix
32 > it for me...
33 >
34 > The gcc version that 'emerge world -u' tried to install
35 > (gcc-3.2.1-r6) does
36 > not contain/make the correct /usr/bin/gcc file. The file is
37 > just not there
38 > after I merge it. The version I have now that works is
39 > gcc-3.2.1-r1. Even
40 > if I do a tar tjf on the .tbz2 file for the 3.2.1-r6 package
41 > it does not show
42 > /usr/bin/gcc...
43 >
44 > The other thing is that the newest Qt (qt-3.1.1) breaks my
45 > mono-spaced fonts.
46 > I am not a font buff so I just mean 'all fonts where chars
47 > are of equal
48 > width' Also it (obviously) only breaks fonts for programs
49 > (typically KDE)
50 > that uses the Qt font subsystem. I say this because my gnome
51 > programs (like
52 > gvim) display these fonts correcty. Also the other vairable
53 > width fonts are
54 > displayed correctly everywhere. The version of Qt that I use
55 > now (and which
56 > does not have the problem) is qt-3.1.0-r1. I friend of mine
57 > has a similar
58 > problem and the fix was the same too ..
59 >
60 > regards
61 > good luck on 1.4
62 >