From: Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 15:56:45
1 Chris White wrote:
2 > It has made somewhat painfully obvious as of late as to the lack of a
3 > centralized source of updates for users. This has recently become true
4 > moreso with the apache2 config file changes and the step to php5.
5
6 Random thoughts about this important subject...
7
8 Yes, there is a need to push non-obvious upgrade information to our
9 users, and no, we can't rely on the GWN alone to convey that "official"
10 message.
11
12 The reason why the front page and the gentoo-announce ML (the two
13 official media for Gentoo -> users information) are under-used is that
14 approximately 5% of the developers know how to post to them. We should
15 probably make them more open (with a moderation system to check
16 message), then they will be used more.
17
18 But it's a good idea to have some kind of automatic replication of
19 frontpage announcements to gentoo-announce and the forums, this will
20 help getting important messages through. However, I'm not sure *all*
21 frontpage contents should get replicated to gentoo-announce and the
22 forums. GWN announcements for example do not need to appear elsewhere...
25 Thierry Carrez (Koon)
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list