From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: dberkholz@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding a tiny install-mask directory list to gx86
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:13:07
1 On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 08:39:48 -0500
2 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 11:36 Fri 16 Sep , Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > The question is: where to store such a directory list?
6 > >
7 > > Keeping it inside project sources doesn't seem right as it would
8 > > require me to bump and re-release project every time a directory is
9 > > added. Keeping it in separate package which would need to be kept
10 > > in sync doesn't seem too good either.
11 > >
12 > > That's why I'm considering including a tiny file in gx86 (and
13 > > possibly other repositories) itself. Such a file could have a
14 > > simple format and specify mappings of 'install-mask names' (similar
15 > > to USE flag names) to lists of directories and possibly
16 > > descriptions.
17 >
18 > Do something like layman or repoman where it auto-fetches
19 > periodically. Layman has the advantage of also supporting add-on
20 > files in addition to the main one.
21
22 I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Layman operations usually involve
23 network I/O, mine will not. I don't really want users to pay for GPRS
24 because install-mask does auto-update check.
25
26 > I don't want this in my repo.
27
28 By *your* repo you mean dev overlay? Noone forces you to declare
29 additional paths.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny