From: Casey Allen Shobe <lists@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] VPopmail - SUID vchkpw
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:30:51
1 On Wednesday 20 July 2005 07:04, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > For common operation of qmail-smtpd, vchkpw is NOT required. SMTP
3 > AUTH is the only reason qmail-smtpd would call vchkpw.
4
5 True. Sorry for not realizing that.
6
7 > chsh has also been vetted for security problems a LOT more
8 > closely than vchkpw. I don't trust vchkpw with suid-root.
9
10 Then use suidctl?
11
12 > The postfix maintainers were asked about it once before, and the
13 > answer was that there wasn't enough demand for it. You're only
14 > the second person that's asked (that I am aware of).
15
16 ...and I'm not actually asking for it, though it would be nice to be
17 in the ebuild just for the sake of completeness. I don't actually
18 know anybody who uses postfix+vpopmail on the vpopmail list.
19
20 > This is decidedly not a good idea, unless vchkpw gets locked up
21 > more so that only specific things can run it (otherwise it can
22 > easily be used to brute-force passwords).
23
24 True. Would the best way to do that be to only give the vpopmail
25 group execute access to vchkpw, and then add qmail-smtpd to that
26 group, but still have vchkpw suid?
27
28 It seems that su could be easily used to brute-force passwords, too,
29 but it's suid by default.
30
31 Maybe what is needed is an extension to suidctl where emerge checks
32 any installed binaries against things present in suidctl.conf that
33 *should* be made suid if they're listed in there even if they're
34 not suid by default?
35
36 Cheers,
37 --
38 Casey Allen Shobe | http://casey.shobe.info
39 cshobe@×××××××××××××.com | cell 425-443-4653
40 AIM & Yahoo: SomeLinuxGuy | ICQ: 1494523
41 SeattleServer.com, Inc. | http://www.seattleserver.com
42 --
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list