From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Addition of a new field <remote-id type="debian"> to metadata.xml
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2017 14:51:41
1 On sob, 2017-06-03 at 02:38 +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 14:07:44 +0700
3 > "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <gentoo@×××.name> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Shouldn't we mention "debug" USE-flag in this context somehow?
6 >
7 > Not sure it should. Even though one package may be the logical equivalent
8 > of a handful of debian packages, doesn't mean there's going to be a useful
9 > USE <-> package mapping for such things.
10 >
11 > Maybe debug seems more obvious, but, well, with Gentoo, you don't actually *need*
12 > a USE flag for that:
13 >
14 > You control that via CFLAGS and the FEATURES="splitdebug" options.
15 >
16 > USE="debug" *changes the compile* and introduces source-code level enhancements,
17 > that can change the resulting binary parts.
18 >
19 > Whereas the debian equivalents are just the equivalents of our splitdebugs rolled
20 > up so you can debug stack traces with gdb, if I remember correctly.
21 >
22 > eg: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd64/vlc-dbg/filelist
23 >
24 > In hindsight, maybe -dbg mappings might not make sense, and should be discouraged.
25 >
26 > Otherwise you're gonna need to add a descriptive field of some kind to the <remote-id> data,
27 > and at that point, it gets really hairy.
28 >
29 > I have ideas how you get around that, but it moves away from <remote-id> entirely, and
30 > that's really just over-complicating it.
31
32 ...so if a Gentoo package is split into 40 packages in Debian, are you
33 going to list all of them?
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny