From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ebuild function to show package changelog
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:00:20
Angelo Arrifano wrote:
> What do you people think on a new pkg_changelog function that would > instruct the ebuild how to retrieve this kind of information from the > package?
No, please don't. I'm okay with it if your mean "at the end of emerge -u <atom>", but wouldn't it be pointless to see what changed *after* you just installed the thing? The reason i'm against it is the complexity involved. You need to pull down the source (up to hunderts of megabytes for openoffice), run src_unpack and eventually src_configure phases. Then you need to know where to look and what to show. But i agree it's cool to know what i will gain from my daily emerge run. As an alternative, let the ebuild provide a variable that points to upstreams online Changelog or something, so you as a human can go parse it yourself. But then you could also just take the HOMEPAGE variable that's already there.