From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ebuild function to show package changelog
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:00:20
1 Angelo Arrifano wrote:
2 > What do you people think on a new pkg_changelog function that would
3 > instruct the ebuild how to retrieve this kind of information from the
4 > package?
5
6 No, please don't. I'm okay with it if your mean "at the end of
7 emerge -u <atom>", but wouldn't it be pointless to see what changed
8 *after* you just installed the thing?
9
10 The reason i'm against it is the complexity involved. You need to pull
11 down the source (up to hunderts of megabytes for openoffice), run
12 src_unpack and eventually src_configure phases. Then you need to know
13 where to look and what to show.
14
15 But i agree it's cool to know what i will gain from my daily emerge run.
16
17 As an alternative, let the ebuild provide a variable that points to
18 upstreams online Changelog or something, so you as a human can go parse
19 it yourself. But then you could also just take the HOMEPAGE variable
20 that's already there.