From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 13:44:08
1 On wto, 2017-07-25 at 08:54 -0400, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 07/25/2017 04:05, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hi, everyone.
4 > >
5 > > There have been multiple attempts at grasping this but none so far
6 > > resulted in something official and indisputable. At the same time, we
7 > > end having to point our users at semi-official guides which change
8 > > in unpredictable ways.
9 > >
10 > > Here's the current draft:
11 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Git
12 > >
13 > > The basic idea is that the GLEP provides basic guidelines for using git,
14 > > and then we write a proper manual on top of it (right now, all the pages
15 > > about it end up as a mix of requirements and a partial git manual).
16 > >
17 > > What do you think about it? Is there anything else that needs being
18 > > covered?
19 > >
20 > > Copy of the markup for inline comments follows.
21 >
22 > I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but will this GLEP update or replace this
23 > existing Wiki article on using git w/ Gentoo?:
24 >
25 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow
26
27 We will probably remove it in favor of a proper devmanual section.
28 Proxy-maint already stopped using it because there's too much noise
29 there.
30
31 > Some of the step-by-step bits in the above Wiki page look like good candidates
32 > to be integrated into the GLEP.
33
34 Could you be more specific?
35
36 > It also contains guidelines on writing commit
37 > messages, such as limiting the first line to ~50 characters, an optional body
38 > wrapped at 75 chars/line, and including the usual git tags for sign-off and
39 > such. Though, I like the explicitness of the GLEP's text on a few things more.
40
41 There is a large section on commit messages in the GLEP. Though it uses
42 69 as the technical limit of summary line, since ~50 is realistically
43 hard to achieve for Gentoo.
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny