From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pre-GLEP review: Maintainership structure
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 01:45:52
1 On 11/03/2015 05:15 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > Please review, comment and answer the questions in TODOs ;-).
4 >
5 > [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Maintainership_structure
8 Much more sane than what we have now, thank you.
9
10 My only question is about the name of the "subproject" element. If you
11 haven't read the GLEP, can you tell me whether Foo is a subproject of
12 Bar or vice-versa?
13
14 <project>
15 <name>Foo</name>
16 <email>foo@g.o</email>
17 <subproject ref="bar@g.o"/>
18 </project>
19
20 <project>
21 <name>Bar</name>
22 <email>bar@g.o</email>
23 </project>
24
25 Putting the name aside, I expected the mapping to go in the other
26 direction by analogy with relational databases.
27
28 This is also misleading with the current name:
29
30 <subproject inherit-members="1"/>
31
32 That looks like the subproject inherits the members of the parent
33 project, right? But it's the other way around:
34
35 * optional inherit-members="" attribute whose non-empty value
36 indicates that subproject members are to be considered members of
37 the parent project as well.
38
39 If everyone likes and wants to keep the name _sub_project, I think
40 _inherit_ is the wrong word to use, since children inherit from parents.