From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Random items I'd like to discuss
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 22:01:07
1 On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 22:47:50 +0100
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Have a look at the labels bug (201499).
4 >
5 > Similar idea, but I don't like the labels that much,
6 >
7 > having separate vars can make backward compatibility easy
8
9 You can't sensibly have backwards compatibility across new deps if all
10 the requested options are implemented anyway -- there's no exact
11 mapping between the current three vars and all the new ones. New deps
12 has to be an EAPI change, and it has to be an ebuild change.
13
14 And the other problem -- we'd be talking hundreds of variables.
15 Multiply number of dep types (build, run, install, compile against,
16 post, probably more) by number of requirement levels (required,
17 suggested, recommended) by number of ABI combinations by number of
18 system combinations by whatever else ends up being useful.
19
20 > >> - explicit ctarget support in the package manager emerge
21 > >> --cross=target something.
22 > >
23 > > Would need support from every ebuild, which in turn would need
24 > > support from every upstream.
25 >
26 > every autostuff ebuild should and that's a start.
27
28 Except that autotools doesn't have any sane way of handling chost /
29 cbuild / ctarget for non-trivial packages. If you want to do something
30 simple like generate a file using a program you make at compile time,
31 you're forced to resort to nicking insane hackery from the gcc build
32 system -- or you can do what most people do and just break non-native
33 compiles. Using autotools does not mean supporting chost / cbuild /
34 ctarget properly...
35
36 > you can restrict the tree to a specific branch supporting this feature
37 > and extend it little by little.
38
39 Tree branching will very quickly become unmanageable. Users will be
40 forced to choose a branch, but useful features will be spread across
41 different branches.
44 Ciaran McCreesh