From: aye <aye@××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] per-package environment variables.
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:02:52
1 well - i've got one more idea. all your proposal have one weakness from
2 my point of view. i've reported bug (and reopened the second one) for
3 one reason: i want to have some base system compiled in way, which makes
4 me possibility to run on diffrent procesors (mainly i'm interested in
5 pentiums and athlons), while the rest of programs should be compiled
6 with optimalization for my home cpu.
7 in your solutions i'd have to had a long file looks like it:
8
9 category/package1 low_c_flags*
10 category/package2 low_c_flags
11 category/package3 low_c_flags
12 category/package4 low_c_flags
13 category/package5 low_c_flags
14 [...]
15 category/package100 low_c_flags
16
17 *low_c_flags is just example - no matter how it'd be called, if it would
18 be file name or settings or some kind of keyword - it looks ugly. in the
19 other hand i don't think that anyboby would need more then 3 or 4 sets
20 of flag. so what i propose is to have a /etc/portage/package.env with
21 syntax as below:
22
23 CFLAGS="-option1 -option2 -option3"
24 PACKAGES="category/package1
25 category/package2
26 category/package3
27 category/package4
28 [...]
29 category/packageN"
30
31 CFLAGS="-option1 -option4 -option4"
32 PACKAGES="category/packageN+1
33 category/packageN+2
34 category/packageN+3
35 category/packageN+4
36 [...]
37 category/packageN+M"
38
39 LINGUAS="pl"
40 PACKAGES="category/package3
41 category/package5"
42
43 and so on.
44 there is one disadvantage in this idea. it's pretty certain, that man
45 want to have diffrent CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS for the same package. in
46 contruction as above, he'd have to copy packages and have the same
47 package in 2 places, so i think, we could set these flags together, for
48 example:
49
50 CFLAGS="..."
51 CXXFLAGS="..."
52 PACKAGES="..."
53
54 CFLAGS="..."
55 PACKAGES="..." <no CXXFLAGS definition here -> CXXFLAGS are taken from make.conf
56
57 now one can say: "hey - why the hell CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are treated in
58 diffrent way than the rest?". ok. so let's make:
59
60 CFLAGS="..."
61 CXXFLAGS="..."
62 MAKEOPTS="..."
63 PACKAGES="..."
64
65 CFLAGS="..."
66 PACKAGES="..." < again - not declared setting are taken from enviroment here
67
68 isn't that clear anought? let's make /etc/portage/package.env a
69 directory.
70
71 ls /etc/portage/package.env
72 set1.env
73 set2.env
74 set3.env
75
76 cat /etc/portage/package.env/set1.env
77 # definitions for base-system
78 CFLAGS="..."
79 CXXFLAGS="..."
80 MAKEOPTS="..."
81 PACKAGES="..."
82
83 cat /etc/portage/package.env/set2.env
84 # definitions for kde
85 CFLAGS="..."
86 LINGUAS="..."
87 PACKAGES="..."
88
89 and so on...
90 what do you think of that?
93 "Life's a bitch and so am I, the world owes me, so fuck you." - Green Day
94 PoLiSh YoUr EnGlIsH:
95 KIOSK RUCHU - LITTLE BUSINESS OF MOVEMENT
99 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list