From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, "Nielsen, David" <Lovechild@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Ebuild Janitor Project -- Any formalities tojoining it?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 19:32:13
>Frankly people like you kill every possible joy I might get out of this >- all you do is complain, not one word about the relative niceness of >this project and what it could do for the state of the ebuilds.
Quite the contrary, I talked on irc about how the project could help though i didn't mention it here, sorry about that.
>That being said - No, I didn't talk to anyone about it before going >ahead, portage is gpl'ed, I can do what ever I want to it, and I intend >to. I didn't want to announce anything untill it was off the ground >because I think people spend FAR to much time talking and FAR to little >time actually doing something. >I didn't expect it to take off this fast, we have been going for a few >days, and there are now several ebuilds waiting in queue to be comfirmed >working once that has happened they will be forwarded to bugzilla. (This >all written in the guidelines on the forum, but I'm guessing you didn't >even take your time to read that).
Yea, you can do whatever you want with it, I never said you could't. The project has good goals and the ability to help, my ENTIRE question which you did NOT answer was of logistics. Ebuild XYZ sucks and janitor fixes it and submits it to you, what then? If it doesn't somehow get into our main portage tree than it can't help anyone. THIS is the reason you should be talking to devs, to see if we can come up with a way for the cleaned up ebuilds to make it into the tree.
>Now suggest you do some research before giving nice people like my >teammates and myself a hard time.
what research? It doesn't matter how nice you and your teammates are if the project has no ability to deliver the product. Keep in mind I never questioned you or your ability or your projects or your teammates. I asked how you planned on getting this to work and you reacted in a very emotional and defensive way. I suggest you evaluate the goals of the project and your ability to contribute to Gentoo with it. We will be more than happy to facilitate your project and it's contributions but you must take the initiative to talk to developers who can help you. Joshua Brindle -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list