From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How do I keep multiple versions of modules?
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 14:17:43
1 On Tuesday 02 April 2002 22:33, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > > Kernel modules should be special and if you rebuild a module, it should
3 > > remove the module only for the currently running kernel hierarchy and
4 > > not from a different kernel version.
5 >
6 > True. I suspect that nobody had thought of it yet.
7 I did, but put it off for post-1.0 :-)
10 > > Is this even possible with the poratge system?
11 >
12 > Not right now, although such functionality shouldn't be hard to add.
13 One solution: where the modules have a separate ebuild (like nvidia-kernel,
14 not like pcmcia-cs - but they can be split), set SLOT=KERNEL_VERSION and
15 (once we have full slot functionality in Portage) remerging won't unmerge a
16 different kernel version's modules.
19 > > I wasn't sure where I should post this, so I crossposted to user and
20 > > dev.
21 >
22 > Please post your comment as a "bug" on bugs.gentoo.org. You have
23 > a good point, and it would be a shame for it to get lost.
24 >
25 > Thanks,
26 > g2boojum
29 > gentoo-dev mailing list