From: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making built_with_use die by default with EAPI 2
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 06:32:45
1 David Leverton wrote:
2 > On Saturday 20 September 2008 18:15:27 Alexis Ballier wrote:
3 >> I can think of checks like:
4 >> - foo is a dep/rdep of bar
5 >> - foo has a "plugin like" architecture
6 >> - bar will "work" with minimal foo
7 >> - most people will expect some features in bar that come with foo's
8 >> plugins
9 >> - we might want to display warnings for the most useful features
10 >> - having useflags in bar for each of foo's useflags doesn't seem wise
11 >
12 > If you mean something like
13 >
14 > built_with_use cat/foo coolfeature || ewarn "bar will be more useful if
15 > you rebuild cat/foo with USE=coolfeature"
16 >
17 > then you can use
18 >
19 > has_version 'cat/foo[coolfeature]' || ...
20 >
21 > instead.
22
23 Which is much better because it's handled directly with the PM and not
24 eutils going looking in vdb by hand, right. In that case we should
25 really encourage this and make built_with_use die or at least emit a qa
26 warning? The only downside is that use deps don't support the --missing
27 stuff and we'll see how big problem this turns out to be in practice...
28
29 Caster