From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:56:08
1 On Friday 28 November 2003 01:19, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Thursday 27 November 2003 04:12 pm, Jason Wever wrote:
6 > > My $0.02 is that if this gets implemented, it should be put in so that
7 > > the default behavior is like portage is now,
8 >
9 > Since Portage as it is right now doesn't pay any attention to licenses, its
10 > legality could be questioned (as with the games issue before?)
11
12 My main concern from this perspective is whether "*" should be available at
13 all.
14
15 > > and if you choose to restrict
16 > > yourself to only free software or other licensing scheme, you can make
17 > > the necessary changes yourself. Otherwise you will have a ton of users
18 > > asking "why can't i emerge package foo?", or filing bugs because of this,
19 > > etc.
20 >
21 > If Portage displays a clear enough message, there shouldn't be a problem
22 > with this...
23
24 This shouldn't be a problem as long as users get a *loud* advance warning. Not
25 only should it be in pkg_postinst but maybe also in the GWN?
26
27 > From a support perspective, if this gets implemented, I'm forwarding all
28 >
29 > > of these questions, bugs, etc to the "free and only free" software folks.
30 > > Please dont' take away one "freedom" for another.
31 >
32 > As long as there is an option (editing the ACCEPT_LICENSES), there is no
33 > freedom being removed.
34
35 I think the osf/fsf licenses are the best default. From what I've seen working
36 on a licensing patch, most of the base system is covered by a handful of
37 licenses. I have 352 packages installed on my system and my ACCEPT_LICENCE is
38 as follows:
39 ACCEPT_LICENSE="Artistic MIT ZLIB BZIP2 FLEX CRACKLIB LGPL-2 NVIDIA LGPL-2.1
40 BSD fontconfig Info-ZIP X11 MSttfEULA PSF-2.2 freedist BAEKMUK Arphic
41 free-noncomm sun-bcla-java-vm DB IPL-1 DIVX MOTIF XAnim public-domain FDL-1.1
42 wxWinLL-3 OpenSoftware as-is GPL-2"
43
44 There's 31 licenses there. Installing all of gnome only requires PYTHON for
45 pyxml MPL-1.1 and NPL-1.1 for mozilla and Ximian-logos for bug-buddy. I
46 haven't looked into the licenses themselves so I don't know what would be
47 "free" and "non-free" but it's definately not the maintenance nightmare
48 people are worried about.
49
50 Regards,
51 Jason Stubbs