From: Aaron Held <aaron@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoo-dev]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:13:37
1 Thanks,
2
3 I'll monitor the list for an RC4 announcement.
4
5 -Aaron
6
7 ----- Original Message -----
8 From: "Achim Gottinger" <320095285153-0001@××××××××.de>
9 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
10 Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 5:23 PM
11 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoo-dev]
14 > Aaron Held wrote:
15 >
16 > > Hi all,
17 > > I just read the IBM DW article about gentoo and I am impressed by the goals of this project. My first unix on x86 was
18 FreeBSD
19 > > way back when and I remeber the days when I could only get BSDI/ FreeBSD drivers for the sync cards. Now its the opposite. I
20 miss
21 > > walking up to any FreeBSD box and finding the right /etc/ files the first try.
22 > >
23 > > I've been working with "Internet Appliances" and in contrast to thier simplified admin push I feel that the Linux/Redhat SysV
24 > > init is getting very complicated. I just downloaded e-smith (www.e-smith.com) which address this problem with some internesting
25 > > perl scripts that massage the /etc/ files based on user input from a webpage / console and a series of templates. I though this
26 was
27 > > a good solution at first, but I guess a better solution would be to simplify the init first!
28 > >
29 > > So basically can someone give me a brief overview as to what you guys mean by "Simplified SysV-style initialization scripts"?
30 >
31 > All scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d contain a line like for example:
32 >
33 > #RCUPDATE:2 3 4:99:This line is required
34 >
35 > We use a script called rc-update to manage sysv-style symliks to /etc/rc.d[runlevel]
36 >
37 > so if you type
38 >
39 > rc-update add example
40 >
41 > it scans /etc/rc.d/init.d for a script called examples. Then it parses the script for the #RCUPDATE-line.
42 > In the aboufe case it would create these symlinks
43 >
44 > /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/99example ../init.d/example
45 > /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/99example ../init.d/example
46 >
47 > If you want to remve a script type
48 >
49 > rc-update del example
50 >
51 > and the links get removed
56 > > Also where can I find out more about "Portage"? Can I rsync the source tree and make world? What is meant by merging the
57 package
58 > > and why do I have to unmerge afterwards?
59 >
60 > We do not install into /. instead we install in a temporary dir first, and then merge this to the live-filesystem or create a
61 package
62 > from that or merge that to another ROOTDIR.
63 >
64 > > Should I just install it and read the man pages?
65 >
66 > Not realy
70 > > Is Java running on rc3?
71 >
72 > Yes jdk1.2.2 i think
76 > > I have a PII/400 with an AMI RAID card setup as a testing machine. I was going to use it for e-smith, but I'd like to try this
77 > > first. Are there any RAID issues on install?
78 >
79 > Yes I think we have not compiled in support for this adapter neighter in the bootcd kernel nor in the default system
80 > kernel.
81 > I will take care about that on the next iso (rc4_pre2, hopefully available in 1 or 2 days).
82 >
83 > Please wait for rc4, there are alot of bugs fixed.
84 >
85 > Bye Achim
89 > > Thanks,
90 > > -Aaron Held
91 > >
92 > > ===================================================================
93 > > As Isaac Newton would say now:
94 > > If I see further than others, it is because I stand on
95 > > the shoulders of giants too dumb to patent their discoveries.
96 > > (Gregory Palast, http://www.observer.co.uk/ )
97 > >
99 > > gentoo-dev mailing list
100 > > gentoo-dev@g.o