From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-python/PyZilla: PyZilla-0.1.0.ebuild ChangeLog metadata.xml
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:18:55
1 On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> Just start removing old[1] maintainer-needed packages. If people
5 >>> complain, tell them to start maintaining it. If they continue to
6 >>> complain, ignore them. As tree-cleaner, you have the power to do this
7 >>> and not take bullshit from people about it.
8 >>
9 >> The intent of the TreeCleaner project (years ago) was to essentially
10 >> look for packages in bugzilla that had lots of bugs and no maintainer.
11 >>  For a while beandog essentially maintained a site that tracked this
12 >> for us (Gentoo Package that need Lovin' was the awesome title.)
13 >>
14 >> From that list you either fixed the problems and commited them (e.g.
15 >> you were a roving package maintainer) or you pmasked it and marked it
16 >> for the deadpool.
17 >>
18 >> There is not much policy on treecleaning a package just because no one
19 >> has touched it.  Time since last touch was just one of a dozen
20 >> indicators used to find packages that are broken (because a package
21 >> not touched since 2006 is also not likely to compile.)
24 > Sure, that's the history. But what made sense back then doesn't make
25 > sense now. Back then we didn't have 600+ packages that no one
26 > maintains, and whose bugs go almost entirely unread. We had crazy
27 > amounts of manpower back then.
28
29 We probably had more than 600 unmaintained packages because no one was
30 removing dead packages from the tree. I also dispute your manpower
31 logic. Gentoo has been short on developers for years. I don't see
32 how 2011 is any different than 2007 in this aspect.
35 > As we evolve, the responsibilities of the different parts of Gentoo
36 > also evolve. As such, the tree-cleaners project has evolved, and if
37 > the team isn't allowed to clean the tree, then why do we even have it
38 > anymore?
39
40 The community got pissed when I deleted unmaintained packages from the
41 tree 'just because it was unmaintained.' Thats why there were a set
42 of criteria for removal. Maybe they changed their mind and you can
43 convince them. Ignoring people's opinions because they are whiners
44 and you are Treecleaners is a thin edge to walk though; so I'd be
45 careful. At least during my tenure there were still hundreds of
46 unmaintained and broken packages; so I didn't much care about
47 unmaintained but working stuff (since there was plenty of work to do.)
48 I would argue the tree is still in a similar state.
51 > I really don't understand *why* people want to keep around
52 > unmaintained packages. If a package is not maintained, we should come
53 > up and say it outright. Trying to maintain the illusion of maintenance
54 > is really bad — for each person reporting a bug about a package, 100
55 > people who got that same bug don't report it at all. So what happens
56 > when there are just 50 users for some packages? Half the time we won't
57 > even know that one of them is broken[1]. The rest of the time, users
58 > will get a bad impression of Gentoo saying "Man, half the packages
59 > don't even work".
60
61 Properly tagged I don't think there is any illusion.
62 Maintainer-needed is maintainer-needed after all. If half of the
63 packages *in the tree* don't work then we have a problem. If half the
64 packages *a user tries to install* are broken then they should
65 certainly use another distro. Perhaps Gentoo is not for their area
66 (and the key point is that it doesn't have to be.)
69 > It's really simple:
70 >
71 > (a) If the package has plenty of users, there should be no problems
72 > finding a maintainer or a proxy-maintainer.
73 > (b) If the package has few users and is high-maintenance, it's either
74 > already broken, or will get broken soon without a maintainer. Find one
75 > or remove it!
76 > (c) If the package has few users and is low-maintenance, package.mask
77 > it so we can figure out who the users are, and we can get them to
78 > proxy-maintain it, it's so little work anyway, right?
79 > (d) If the package has very few or no users, what the hell is it doing
80 > unmaintained in the tree? It's just eating up disk inodes and space.
81
82 So launch gstats and get usage numbers. If no one is using a package
83 that is a keen indicator it can be punted; however no one will get off
84 their ass and get more data to back anything up (myself included...)
85 All of your points above assume we have a decent metric of 'how many
86 users a package has' and about the only way we know that is when users
87 file bugs for it (version bump, bug, feature req, etc..)
90 > We all like to boast about how gentoo has 15,000 packages, but we
91 > neglect to mention that more than 1000 of these are either
92 > unmaintained or very poorly maintained. And this is a very
93 > conservative number.
94
95 But again this is all made up...m-n was 670-odd packages last I
96 checked. Do we still have m-w these days?
99 > Let's not turn portage into a graveyard for packages. Let's just remove crap.
100 >
101 > 1. Writer is bad at statistics, this is probably inaccurate.
102 >
103 > --
104 > ~Nirbheek Chauhan
105 >