From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: robbat2@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 08:54:11
1 On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 07:59:47PM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > The goal is to deprecate /bin, /lib, /sbin and /usr/sbin. My
3 > understanding is that they want to move software that is installed in
4 > /bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin to /usr/bin. Also, they want to move
5 > everything from /lib to /usr/lib.
6
7 I don't like this one bit. Things used to be simple with the "split" between
8 /bin and /usr/bin (and its related directories), this isn't going to make it
9 more simple.
10
11 > 1) Start migrating packages along with upstream and have everyone who
12 > has a separate /usr (including me by the way) start using an initramfs
13 > of some kind, either dracut or one that we generate specifically for
14 > gentoo. The reason I suggest the initramfs, is, unfortunately if we
15 > migrate everything, nothing else would work.
16
17 I use a separate /usr with LVM on all my systems. My root partition uses
18 RAID1. And I never had the need for an initramfs of any kind. Also, there
19 are some major hurdles to take when it comes to getting an initramfs working
20 with SELinux. Most initramfs implementations I saw are not SELinux aware, so
21 all changes they make to the system either result in failures when they try,
22 or failures when the root-switch occurs.
23
24 > 3) Try to maintain things the way they are as long as possible.
25
26 I'm all for this one.
27
28 But if people really want to focus on initramfs, I'd appreciate some
29 documentation help on it. Not only on how to create one, but also why it is
30 necessary, how to manage initramfs'es, the concepts underlying, etc.
31
32 Wkr,
33 Sven Vermeulen