From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: Rules for distro-friendly packages
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 12:29:16
1 * Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 > > Well, if there're header bugs, shouldn't they get fixed before these
4 > > libs are stabelized ? ;-O
5 >
6 > And there we have the thin line between actual bug and fuzzy
7 > specification. Sometimes things fail just because two people assumed
8 > something and thus the code disagrees in a really funny way.
9 > Or just the GNUisms that tend to leak in through glibc+gcc ... *shudder*
10
11 hmm, do you have some concrete examples ?
12
13 > > Okay, adds *10 to the test matrix. Still not yet an too complex
14 > > problem (still linear complexity).
15 >
16 > So just to keep up with the current package update speed in gentoo you'd
17 > be saturating about a dozen quadcore machines. For amd64 only.
18
19 Well, I'll have to investigate further.
20
21 Maybe it's time for a distributed build project: a generic container
22 image, which gets distributed to dozens of machines and runs build
23 tests coordinated by some server ... a bit like seti@home ;-)
24
25 Enough CPU is available all around the world, just heavily distributed.
28 cu
29 --
31 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
33 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
34 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
35 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
36 http://patches.metux.de/