From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: neurogeek@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Python problem
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 04:34:48
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:03:34 -0430
"Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)" <neurogeek@g.o> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> > wrote: > > Hi guys, > [...] > > So I know a bunch of people have already looked at it, and I'd like > > to know: what do you find better about the Ruby approach compared > > to the Python approach? Is it just the size of python.eclass, or > > are there a number of other issues? > > Let´s start by agreeing with the complexity of the Python eclass. And > a heavy change right now, is going to be painful to say the least > because a great deal of packages have been adapted to work the way the > eclass works right now. > > [...] > > As I said it already, we could start doing things simpler in the > current python.eclass and maybe that would attract some devs to help > out with it, as they find it more comfortable to work with.
I think it would be better to simply start from scratch with a clean python-2.eclass. Instead of adding new features and another lot of conditionals for EAPI=4, just make that code a part of new eclass. And remember, the more complex code is, the more painful it becomes for things like metadata generation. -- Best regards, Michał Górny