From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: neurogeek@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Python problem
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 04:34:48
1 On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:03:34 -0430
2 "Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)" <neurogeek@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > Hi guys,
7 > [...]
8 > > So I know a bunch of people have already looked at it, and I'd like
9 > > to know: what do you find better about the Ruby approach compared
10 > > to the Python approach? Is it just the size of python.eclass, or
11 > > are there a number of other issues?
12 >
13 > Let´s start by agreeing with the complexity of the Python eclass. And
14 > a heavy change right now, is going to be painful to say the least
15 > because a great deal of packages have been adapted to work the way the
16 > eclass works right now.
17 >
18 > [...]
19 >
20 > As I said it already, we could start doing things simpler in the
21 > current python.eclass and maybe that would attract some devs to help
22 > out with it, as they find it more comfortable to work with.
23
24 I think it would be better to simply start from scratch with
25 a clean python-2.eclass. Instead of adding new features and another lot
26 of conditionals for EAPI=4, just make that code a part of new eclass.
27
28 And remember, the more complex code is, the more painful it becomes for
29 things like metadata generation.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny