From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Defining the Tree: a proto-GLEP.
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:07:05
1 On Tuesday 13 June 2006 01:00, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > My current idea is to draw up a formal specification of what ebuilds
3 > are allowed to do, and what to assume about the environment in which
4 > they run, as well as defining the formats of everything under
5 > profiles/, metadata.xml files, and other auxiliary information in the
6 > tree. I would envision the first version of this document to more or
7 > less codify existing practise, perhaps excluding some dubious tricks
8 > that are known to break in some cases. Generally, it should be possible
9 > to make the tree conform to the first version of the specification by
10 > changes no more significant than currently have QA bugs filed for them.
11
12 Metadata.xml files are already formally defined in
13 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/#doc_chap4
14
15 You are welcome to extend/copy this information. Otherwise, go ahead. I don't
16 see problems with codifying what ebuilds are allowed and not allowed to do.
17
18 Paul
21 Paul de Vrieze
22 Gentoo Developer