From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Making user patches globally available
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 15:22:22
1 On 04/26/2012 02:55 AM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Zac Medico posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2012 23:26:24 -0700 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> On 04/25/2012 11:18 PM, Duncan wrote:
5 >>> IOW, let's quit letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, and just
6 >>> get on with it, already.
7 >>
8 >> If that means settling on something that's fragile and prone to lots of
9 >> bug reports, then it's not really practical, because it wastes peoples
10 >> time (and time is our most valuable resource).
11 >
12 > IMO it's trying to do too much with it that's the fragile bit. If all it
13 > does is the patching, but it /always/ does the patching (unlike the hit-
14 > and-miss we get now), and people know they need to use the overlay-ebuild
15 > method to do anything beyond patching, including if they need to re-
16 > invoke eautoreconf, then it should "just work". Right now we're talking
17 > about all this fancy stuff, detecting when we need to automatically run
18 > eautoreconf, etc, and /that/ seems to me to be the fragile bit.
19
20 Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away. If we ignore the problem,
21 then we end up dealing with bug reports of the form "FEATURES=userpatch
22 doesn't work with this particular patch set" until the end of time.
23
24 Also, don't forget to consider the possibility of interference between
25 FEATURES=userpatch and epatch_user (applying same patches twice).
26
27 Overall, the "apply_user_patches_here" approach [1] seems pretty
28 reasonable to me.
29
30 [1]
31 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_c228be85e0c4e577ad194e6004d59062.xml