From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item announcing as-needed (glep 42 stuff)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:27:56
1 On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:44:36 -0700
2 "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > This might be a bit unclear to less savvy users. How about just make
4 > sure your LDFLAGS in /etc/make.conf contains "-Wl,--as-needed" or is unset?
5
6 > Instead of saying "overriding", I'd say something more similar to
7 > "disabling --as-needed" and add that it is not recommended.
8
9 It should be unset; as you say, users should not be screwing with system-wide LDFLAGs, as we don't support anything but the defaults.
10
11 I put an LDFLAGs FAQ in the optimization guide a long time ago:
12
13 section>
14 <title>What about LDFLAGS?</title>
15 <body>
16
17 <p>
18 The Gentoo developers have already set basic, safe LDFLAGS in the base profiles,
19 so you don't need to change them.
20 </p>
21
22 </body>