From: Jeff Horelick <jdhore@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual/pkgconfig to support lighter alternatives
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 09:31:33
1 On 2 May 2012 12:06, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 29 April 2012 18:11:58 Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> the canonical pkg-config is getting fat.  it requires glib-2.  it runs pkg-
4 >> we've got an implementation in perl (i'm not interested in), but there is
5 >> also "pkg-config-lite" and "pkgconf".  they should be compatible with the
6 >> canonical pkg-config.  they aren't yet in the tree, but will be once we
7 >> agree on this topic.
8 >
9 > pkg-config-lite and pkgconf are in the tree now, and there is a
10 > virtual/pkgconfig which allows for these three packages (with the default
11 > remaining the same).
12 >
13 > i think the migration process will be:
14 >  - if you want to do the grunt work of converting random packages, go for it
15 >  - i'll update repoman to warn about packages depending on dev-util/pkgconfig
16 > and suggest the virtual instead
17 > -mike
18
19 If anyone would like to help me converting random packages/categories,
20 it would be GREATLY appreciated. This is difficult work and it has
21 literally taken up almost all of my free time for the past 2 days or
22 so, but I have well over half the tree converted.
23
24 just dev-util/pkgconfig -> virtual/pkgconfig and if the
25 dev-util/pkgconfig is versioned, i've been dropping the version since
26 0.26 is the only fd.o version in the tree and the alternatives are all
27 0.26 compatible.
28
29 Here's the list i've been working off of:
30 http://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/genrdeps/dindex/dev-util/pkgconfig
31 (It's not the most up-to-date, but it works well enough.)
32
33 I am willing to finish this myself, but as I said, help would be
34 greatly appreciated.
35
36 Thanks