From: Thomas Flavel <thomasfl@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] odds and ends
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:34:25
1 On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 04:08:51PM -0700, drobbins@g.o wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:43:53PM +0000, Thomas Flavel wrote:
3 > > > 1.0_rc4-pre2 is fully compatible with all modern Intel and Intel-compatible
4 > > > processors, from the i486 on up. While 1.0_rc4-pre2 is optimized for the
5 > > > 486, Achim plans to build several different versions of 1.0_rc4 optimized for
6 > > > various processors. 1.0_rc4-pre2 has been tested on K6 systems and works
7 > >
8 > > I don't understand why not a 386? I kind of expected the distcd to be 386
9 > > binaries, and then to compile and install optimised to whatever my processor
10 > > happens to be? What am I mis-understanding? ;)
11 > >
12 > > How would gentoo be installed on a 386?
13 >
14 > Very slowly. 386's and bzip2-compressed packages don't exactly get along :)
15
16 :) Is it feasible to have two alternate install routes; one compiling from scratch
17 and the other pre-compiled?
18
19 > If there's a need, we can create a 386-compatible build.
20
21 I'm just thinking along the lines of a minimum binary system where absolutley
22 needed, and compiling specifically everywhere else? I realise this would be
23 slow to install on slower systems, but, since we're all power users... ;)
24
25 Seriously though, I do think this would be a nice feature, unless there's some
26 practicality reason I'm missing.
27
28 > > Excellent. Roughly what size is minimum now?
29 >
30 > Do you mean the minimum HD space needed for installation? I'd guess about 400Mb
31 > of HD space. We haven't specifically attempted to "squeeze" the base install
32 > into a minimum of space. If we did, we could probably get it to live in around
33 > 250Mb, maybe less. If we started recompiling packages and linking them to a tiny
34 > libc, we might be able to get this down to <100Mb :) But, since we're all power
35 > users, this isn't something that we're focusing on right now.
36
37 Ok
38
39 - Tom