From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Userkit.eclass
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 22:27:30
1 On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:38:57 PM EST Michael Mol wrote:
2 >
3 > You're asserting that Red Hat and Debian do things differently because
4 > there's nobody to force them to do things the same way. It can't be because
5 > there's no reference for them to look at; for sure, the second into market
6 > could simply have looked at the first. It's probable they did.
7
8 I would recommend doing some research on LSB. If Debian gave up deb for RPM,
9 then you would see more unification. Ultimately the two had different origins,
10 purposes, and thus can only align on some things but not all.
11
12 You can only push standards so far. When you have two different opposing ways
13 of doing something. A call has to be made as to which to standardize unless
14 you do both. It is impossible to please everyone all the time when it comes to
15 consensus stuff. People have different ideas and will accomplish the same
16 things in different ways.
17
18 Look at the whole systemd thing that came out of RedHat and took over the
19 Linux world. It damn near fractured Debian, and did create a fork. Most other
20 distros including Debian gave in.
21
22 Gentoo is one of the few still offering an alternative OpenRC. Much like the
23 UID/GID thing I blame Gentoo for OpenRC not being adopted more widely and
24 giving room for things like systemd to take over with little alternative for
25 most.
26
27 This kind of thing will happen again and again. Though if other distros do not
28 start leading. It will become more and more a RedHat lead Linux world. Though
29 some things go the other way. RedHat seems to have adopted Debians
30 alternatives system, which is basically eselect, and related tools *-config.
31
32 But we are way off topic to the userkit.eclass and UID/GID. New thread, but I
33 am past the discussion. Thanks!
36 William L. Thomson Jr.