From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tone in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 18:47:30
1 On 06/16/2010 09:18 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> On 06/16/2010 08:43 AM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 05:33:27 +0200
6 >>> Sebastian Pipping<sping@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> Tone is currently not a strength of Gentoo.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> As I have heard there are people not joining Gentoo because the
11 >>>> atmosphere in Gentoo is lacking respect and empathy.
12 >>>
13 >>> That's a conclusion first, then a premise?
14 >>>
15 >>>> I have searched a few places for rules on tone, looking at the Gentoo
16 >>>> Social Contract [1], the Code of Conduct [2] and the Philosophy of
17 >>>> Gentoo [3]. In a way the Code of Conduct defines what good and bad
18 >>>> behavior is. The term "Acceptable behaviour" may make sense as a
19 >>>> counterpart to "Unacceptable behaviour" but feels like "what you can
20 >>>> get away with" to me anyhow.
21 >>>
22 >>>> - How come tone is so rough when we actually meant to be
23 >>>> a friendly community? Has it always been that way?
24 >>>
25 >>> What are you referring to? forums.g.o? bugs.g.o? #gentoo? Who, where,
26 >>> when, what channel, thread?
27 >>>
28 >>>> - With these Code of Conduct rules in place how come DevRel
29 >>>> is not publicly reminding of these rules where necessary?
30 >>>
31 >>> When did you point this out to devrel?
32 >>> [... snip ...]
33 >>
34 >> Those replies are a good example of the rude behavior the poster is
35 >> referring to. The replies consisted of sarcastic questions in "you're an
36 >> idiot" style. The only thing they do is trying to trigger a hostile
37 >> response from the poster.
38 >
39 > Don't read so much between Jer's words. The tone of the reply could
40 > certainly use improvement but I do not think his questions were meant
41 > to be sarcastic at all or imply the poster was an idiot. The only
42 > thing Jer was trying to 'trigger' is a response with some evidence of
43 > 'bad tone' so we can continue the discussion. I don't think a hostile
44 > reply was intended at all.
45
46 It's the overall tone that isn't nice. Usually, when someone posts
47 something, lots of people reply with sarcastic-looking "you're wrong,
48 prove it or gtfo" replies. Even if the OP is wrong, that's not the way
49 to tell him that. If you want to be constructive, you should include
50 the reasons of why you thing he's wrong in your reply, or ask him to
51 elaborate more.
52
53 Just look at some threads where lots of developers were fighting each
54 other and track down the first post that triggered the flame; it's
55 usually of the "proof or gtfo" sort. It's bound to annoy the poster and
56 make him get hostile even if his original intentions were anything but
57 hostile.