From: Mounir Lamouri <volkmar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: ACCEPT_LICENSE default value (GLEP 23)
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 11:08:22
1 Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > Mounir Lamouri wrote:
3 >> It looks like some licenses need acceptance.
4 > I prefer the wording: some software vendors claim that their licenses
5 > must be accepted to use the software. I'm not aware of any law which
6 > requires a license to use software - at least not inside the USA (your
7 > jurisdiction may vary).
8 I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure some software _need_ explicit
9 license acceptance to be used. However, I'm quite sure using a software
10 means accept the license.
11 Someone experienced in this area is welcome for clarifications.
12
13 > A license is certainly required to distribute software - hence
14 > RESTRICT="mirror" or USE="bindist". Users typically do not distribute
15 > software, therefore users typically do not need a license to use it.
16 I think this vision is too simple. Some licenses add rules and rights
17 users should know. Some applications can use your personal data (like
18 picasa) or forbid you to try to do reverse engineering even if
19 authorized in your country (can't remember name).
20 So, even if most users don't care, we should at least help them know.
21 Because, at the moment, I can install something with a license saying "i
22 can use personal data you put in this app" without even have a clue.
23
24 > Frankly, I'd like to see ACCEPT_LICENSE=* be the default. If some are
25 > concerned about the legal issues then have the default be
26 > ACCEPT_LICENSE = * -@EULA and let users trim it down to "*" on their
27 > own. Portage should not set arbitrary restrictions on preventing
28 > accepting *.
29 >
30 > I'd definitely like the default to be that packages are accepted
31 > unless a dev somehow indicates otherwise. The overwhelming majority
32 > of packages out there do not have EULA issues.
33 >
34 > Keep in mind that licensing is a legal issue, and legal issues are
35 > determined by the law, and the law is determined by where you live.
36 > If a user lives in a country that says you can sell Windows CD-Rs at a
37 > Lemonade stand, it isn't the job of Gentoo to step in and tell them
38 > otherwise. We want to give users the tools they need to help stay
39 > compliant with the laws that govern them - we don't want to assume the
40 > responsibility for their compliance.
41 Sure, licensing is somewhat linked with where you live but I don't think
42 that's helping your point.
43 By auto-enabling only a set of licenses we can be sure at 99% users will
44 be safe. By auto-enabling everything, we can put our users in an illegal
45 situation where he is living. Better to be a little bit restrictive than
46 too comprehensive.
47 I think except for flash plugin and graphic drivers our users will not
48 be too annoyed by a restrictive ACCEPT_LICENSE. There is only a few app
49 widely use on GNU/Linux which aren't free. I can only see Skype.
50 And maybe it will help users to think about alternatives before using
51 proprietary software.
52
53 Mounir