From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please review: prefix.eclass
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 14:40:39
1 On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:13 AM, Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>:
5 >
6 >> On 12:59 Fri 27 Mar     , Fabian Groffen wrote:
7 >> > This eclass facilitates in some of the needs of the Gentoo Prefix
8 >> > project.  For now it provides the 'eprefixify' function, which is
9 >> > often used in Gentoo Prefix ebuilds to incorporate the used offset
10 >> > prefix into files.
11 >>
12 >> It's great to see you moving toward folding this back into the main
13 >> tree! My only comment is that eprefixify could really use a better
14 >> name because that one sounds really awkward. How about doprefix, or
15 >> something else?
16 >
17 >  To install a prefix file?  Like doman, dobin. :)
18
19 Not that I want to start an argument over a function name but it helps
20 if you understand what eprefixify() does.
21
22 eprefixify simply does a 's/@GENTOO_PORTAGE_EPREFIX@/$EPREFIX/' where
23 EPREFIX is expanded to its abs value. The common use case for
24 eprefixify is on installed scripts where you should be able to run the
25 program in a prefix shell or not. (ie. you should be able to run it
26 without EPREFIX being set in your env - this is true of all prefix
27 executables)
28
29 So, no, we do not exactly feel like a do* name is appropriate because
30 this function is not installing anything. In a sense, we made
31 'eprefix' a verb and that really seems to make sense to new devs and
32 new users.
33
34 -Jeremy