From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoo-dev]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:50:50
1 Aaron Held wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 > I just read the IBM DW article about gentoo and I am impressed by the goals of this project. My first unix on x86 was FreeBSD
5 > way back when and I remeber the days when I could only get BSDI/ FreeBSD drivers for the sync cards. Now its the opposite. I miss
6 > walking up to any FreeBSD box and finding the right /etc/ files the first try.
7 >
8 > I've been working with "Internet Appliances" and in contrast to thier simplified admin push I feel that the Linux/Redhat SysV
9 > init is getting very complicated. I just downloaded e-smith (www.e-smith.com) which address this problem with some internesting
10 > perl scripts that massage the /etc/ files based on user input from a webpage / console and a series of templates. I though this was
11 > a good solution at first, but I guess a better solution would be to simplify the init first!
12 >
13 > So basically can someone give me a brief overview as to what you guys mean by "Simplified SysV-style initialization scripts"?
14
15 All scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d contain a line like for example:
16
17 #RCUPDATE:2 3 4:99:This line is required
18
19 We use a script called rc-update to manage sysv-style symliks to /etc/rc.d[runlevel]
20
21 so if you type
22
23 rc-update add example
24
25 it scans /etc/rc.d/init.d for a script called examples. Then it parses the script for the #RCUPDATE-line.
26 In the aboufe case it would create these symlinks
27
28 /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/99example ../init.d/example
29 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/99example ../init.d/example
30
31 If you want to remve a script type
32
33 rc-update del example
34
35 and the links get removed
40 > Also where can I find out more about "Portage"? Can I rsync the source tree and make world? What is meant by merging the package
41 > and why do I have to unmerge afterwards?
42
43 We do not install into /. instead we install in a temporary dir first, and then merge this to the live-filesystem or create a package
44 from that or merge that to another ROOTDIR.
45
46 > Should I just install it and read the man pages?
47
48 Not realy
52 > Is Java running on rc3?
53
54 Yes jdk1.2.2 i think
58 > I have a PII/400 with an AMI RAID card setup as a testing machine. I was going to use it for e-smith, but I'd like to try this
59 > first. Are there any RAID issues on install?
60
61 Yes I think we have not compiled in support for this adapter neighter in the bootcd kernel nor in the default system
62 kernel.
63 I will take care about that on the next iso (rc4_pre2, hopefully available in 1 or 2 days).
64
65 Please wait for rc4, there are alot of bugs fixed.
66
67 Bye Achim
71 > Thanks,
72 > -Aaron Held
73 >
75 > As Isaac Newton would say now:
76 > If I see further than others, it is because I stand on
77 > the shoulders of giants too dumb to patent their discoveries.
78 > (Gregory Palast, http://www.observer.co.uk/ )
81 > gentoo-dev mailing list
82 > gentoo-dev@g.o