From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoo-dev]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:50:50
Aaron Held wrote:

> Hi all, > I just read the IBM DW article about gentoo and I am impressed by the goals of this project. My first unix on x86 was FreeBSD > way back when and I remeber the days when I could only get BSDI/ FreeBSD drivers for the sync cards. Now its the opposite. I miss > walking up to any FreeBSD box and finding the right /etc/ files the first try. > > I've been working with "Internet Appliances" and in contrast to thier simplified admin push I feel that the Linux/Redhat SysV > init is getting very complicated. I just downloaded e-smith (www.e-smith.com) which address this problem with some internesting > perl scripts that massage the /etc/ files based on user input from a webpage / console and a series of templates. I though this was > a good solution at first, but I guess a better solution would be to simplify the init first! > > So basically can someone give me a brief overview as to what you guys mean by "Simplified SysV-style initialization scripts"?
All scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d contain a line like for example: #RCUPDATE:2 3 4:99:This line is required We use a script called rc-update to manage sysv-style symliks to /etc/rc.d[runlevel] so if you type rc-update add example it scans /etc/rc.d/init.d for a script called examples. Then it parses the script for the #RCUPDATE-line. In the aboufe case it would create these symlinks /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/99example ../init.d/example /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/99example ../init.d/example If you want to remve a script type rc-update del example and the links get removed
> > > Also where can I find out more about "Portage"? Can I rsync the source tree and make world? What is meant by merging the package > and why do I have to unmerge afterwards?
We do not install into /. instead we install in a temporary dir first, and then merge this to the live-filesystem or create a package from that or merge that to another ROOTDIR.
> Should I just install it and read the man pages?
Not realy
> > > Is Java running on rc3?
Yes jdk1.2.2 i think
> > > I have a PII/400 with an AMI RAID card setup as a testing machine. I was going to use it for e-smith, but I'd like to try this > first. Are there any RAID issues on install?
Yes I think we have not compiled in support for this adapter neighter in the bootcd kernel nor in the default system kernel. I will take care about that on the next iso (rc4_pre2, hopefully available in 1 or 2 days). Please wait for rc4, there are alot of bugs fixed. Bye Achim