From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: francis <francis.west@××××××××.com>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stage23
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:20:40
On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 06:09, francis wrote:
> Hello guys, > I've been experimenting with catalyst, I was looking to deploy some > network appliances/embedded systems using catalyst. I've been using > catalyst to build stages however i would like to have some more control > over what goes into them! and so I have a few questions! > > 1. i would like to know if it is possible to control what gets compiled > into a stage3? and if so how? >
A stage 3 is just a stage2 that has had an 'emerge system' done to it. The packages that get pulled in by 'emerge system' are called system packages and are designated in the profile that you are using to build. Check out /etc/make.profile/packages; the packages prefixed by a * are system packages. To change what system packages you want in your stages, I would create a different profile (probably named $myprofile-$arch-2004.0) and make your changes there. To get catalyst to use that profile, just set rel_type to $myprofile in your specfile. Note that if you change $arch or 2004.0, you will have to make the appropriate changes in your spec file as well.
> 2. i would also like to be able to control how the packages are built, > i've added a new subarch and set some use parameters for that, but i > really wanted to go the full way, i thought there would be a similar > option to 'grp/use:' for stage3 ? >
Check out make.defaults in the profile and edit the var called GRP_STAGE23_USE.
> 3. will FEATURES work from the envscript? i am guessing setting USE= > will break the build system? >
Its all in the profile :)
Yup :) If you are really interested in the embedded stuff, hop onto irc and go to #gentoo-embedded. They love their embeddedness there. Cheers, //zhen -- John Davis Gentoo Linux Developer <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen> ---- GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc> Fingerprint: 2364 71BD 4BC2 705D F338 FF70 6650 1235 1946 2D47