From: "gentoo.org" <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 03:23:39
1 I'm not going to get into the free/non-free conversation other than to say I
2 appreciate, and I think a lot of users appreciate at least having free &
3 "non-free" software available in the portage tree, whether or not they
4 choose to use the non-free stuff.
5
6 Though I still think it's important to have some kind of license
7 acknowledgement for licenses other than the GPL. The reason is that some
8 licenses may have restrictions that the end-user is not aware of, and it is
9 not immediately apparent what license a particular package is when a user
10 installs it. Or that package could depend on another package with a
11 different license that the user is unware of. I don't think of it as being
12 "politically correct." I just think it'll help the user know what he/she is
13 getting into.
14
15 So while I don't consider it an absolute requirement, I do think that it
16 doesn't in anyway "harm" Gentoo and is generally a "good thing."
17
18 -=m=-
19
20 -----Original Message-----
21 From: Brett I. Holcomb [mailto:brettholcomb@×××××××.net]
22 Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 8:35 PM
23 To: gentoo-dev@g.o
24 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
27 To be honest Jason, I think we need to leave it as is. Gentoo is a distro
28 that allows us to get work done and not get into the "if you use non-free
29 software you have betrayed humanity" argument. If we're not careful we will
30 end up the same as Debian. The person raising the question is a zealot who
31 will accept nothing less then all free software and no non-free. That was
32 explained many times and he, like all of us have a choice - use a distro
33 that
34 fits whatever philosophy you have. Gentoo does not have the Debian
35 philosophy so for people who want that they can use Debian or another
36 equivalent. For those of us who just want to do a job and if non-free is
37 the
38 best then we'll use the non-free/commerical stuff and stick with Gentoo.
39
40 Why should all of us who agree with the Gentoo philosopy have to add a bunch
41 of licenses stuff to make.conf or wherever just to satisfy people who would
42 be happier with Debian type distros anyway. We can get in a situation like
43 those who try to be politically correct - they are constantly modifying
44 their
45 school, program, whatever to fit the whims of the latest politically correct
46 mandate. Gentoo's social contract is available to read - if we feel so
47 strongly that we can't agree to then we can go to another distro.
48
49 The id licensing is, to me, an odd case. That's the only package it's been
50 an issue. VMware and the others seem happy to let us have it in portage -
51 probably because they are time limited demos.
52
53 Don't mess with a good setup - it isn't broken so don't fix it <G>.
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list