From: Bernd Steinhauser <gentoo@×××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are blocks used for?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:16:53
Ciaran McCreesh schrieb:
> What all are blocks used for? > > a) Marking that two unrelated packages are mutually incompatible at > runtime because they happen to collide, for example on a commonly named > executable. > > b) Marking that two related implementations are mutually incompatible at > runtime because they both provide the same binary. > > c) Marking that a file that used to be provided by one package is now > provided by another package that is either depending upon or depended > upon by the original package. > > d) Marking that a package has been moved into another package. > > Are there any other uses? > > For future EAPIs, being able to tell the package manager that your > block is of one of the types above will help the package manager smooth > out the upgrade path for users. For example, for class d) blocks such > as the recent coreutils / mktemp mess, the package manager can suggest > to the user to install the new package and then uninstall the old > package, rather than forcing the user to uninstall the old package by > hand (possibly leaving their system without critical utilities) and then > install the new package. > > I strongly suspect that in many (but not all) cases the package manager > could be making users' lives a lot easier than it currently is... >
There is another case. e) A package needs a newer version of another package, but doesn't depend on it. This was the case with KDE4. kdelibs-4.0.x block these packages: !<kde-base/kdebase-3.5.7-r6 !<kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.7-r1 !=kde-base/kdebase-3.5.8 !=kde-base/kdebase-3.5.8-r1 !=kde-base/kdebase-3.5.8-r2 !=kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.8 The reason is, that a newer revision has to be installed. (But of course kdelibs-4.0.x can't depend on a kde3 package.) So in this case the behaviour would be different ((keyword and) upgrade one package, then install the other package) and the given block reason would be different. -- gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list