From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 11:29:22
1 On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 18:37:52 -0800
2 Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I don't think we need to have stable UIDs/GIDs in the "normal" case of
5 > standalone users with a single Gentoo system at home. The people who
6 > need predictable UIDs/GIDs are the "enterprise" users or the home users
7 > who use things such as NFS. I work for a company that uses Gentoo, we
8 > have a bunch of workarounds to make sure that UIDs and GIDs are
9 > stable. To make something to solve our problem (and I suspect everyone
10 > else who cares about this), it would be sufficient to have a mechanism
11 > to override the default random assignment with a fixed UID/GID.
12 > Possibly some file in /etc/portage or in the profile (or both) that
13 > allows one to configure what UID/GID a user will get when the user is
14 > being created. One advantage of this is that user.eclass could be
15 > modified to support it, so we don't have to wait for a new EAPI before
16 > taking advantage of it.
17
18 Is this really a problem in enterprise? What are the workarounds you're
19 using? NFS has long had idmapd, which takes care of this problem. I
20 still find people shy away from NFSv4 but I've not had any trouble with
21 it. There's also LDAP, usually coupled with sssd these days, in which
22 case the users and groups are created just once on a central server.
23 Samba with Active Directory effectively gives you the same thing and
24 can also be coupled with sssd. I recently tried mixing Samba, sssd, and
25 NFS, which was quite fascinating and surprisingly easy thanks to
26 realmd. This allowed me to use NFS with Kerberos, which is something
27 you really need in an enterprise environment.
30 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
31 Gentoo Linux Developer