From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] VIMRUNTIME
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 04:41:35
1 (please respond on -dev, not -core)
2
3 Hi folks,
4
5 This is just a heads-up regarding the vim ebuilds and eclass. Yesterday
6 I added 6.2a (aka 6.2_pre1) to the tree. It's ~ masked but works fine.
7 Hopefully I'll be able to unmask it during the next package upgrades
8 phase.
9
10 Here are a couple notes:
11
12 1. I've removed the setting of VIMRUNTIME from the ebuild. This was
13 installing /etc/env.d/40vim. There is no reason to set this
14 variable, since the vim binary has compiled in the location of the
15 run-time files, /usr/share/vim/vim62a. I have verified this works
16 for every vim ebuild in the tree, so I don't know what motivated the
17 "fix" in the first place.
18
19 However when you update to the new version, you'll probably notice
20 that running "vim" (or any of the variants) gives you some warnings,
21 along with syntax highlighting not working, etc. This is because you
22 still have VIMRUNTIME in your environment. It won't disappear until
23 you logout and back in. I'm sorry, but there's no real way to climb
24 up the process tree and remove VIMRUNTIME from the environment of
25 each process... :-/
26
27 2. Part of my experimentation revealed that vim doesn't yet work with
28 ruby-1.8.x. I'll be working on this eventually to find and fix the
29 problem, but for the moment I simply did
30
31 DEPEND="ruby? ( =ruby-1.6* )"
32
33 You might wonder, why not 1.6.*? Well, Portage didn't like that.
34 Something to figure out another time.
35
36 3. 6.2a says "6.2 alpha". It's hardly alpha. It's really just 6.1 plus
37 all 474 patches plus gtk2 support. That's why I would consider
38 marking this stable.
39
40 4. This version introduces motif support, so now gvim can produce
41 an athena, gtk, gtk2, gnome, or motif binary depending on your USE
42 flags.
43
44 Have fun and let me know of bugs via bugzilla. I'll be away until
45 Monday so I won't be responding to email until then.
46
47 Aron
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list