From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] IMPORTANT: The proposal for the metadata.xml file
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:41:36
1 On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 02:17:03AM +0200, Lars Weiler wrote:
2 > * Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> [03/06/27 23:31 +0200]:
3 > >I prefer plaintext changelogs. Maybe we can have both and make repoman
4 > >parse plaintext files during commits and portage convert back from xml
5 > >on request.
6 >
7 > XML _is_ plain text. You can edit it quite simple with your
8 > usual text-editor. Only that XML will give you the
9 > advantage of "naming" texts. What is done now with a
10 > special kind of formatting (date, name, mail-address, ...)
11 > or indention will be surrounded by XML-tags.
12 >
13 > If you prefer text without XML-tags it would be quite easy
14 > writing a script that will translate the ChangeLog into the
15 > "old" way and displaying it. Gernerating HTML-pages or
16 > anything else is also quite simple. One of the benefits
17 > using XML!
20 XML is plaintext in the sense that a C file is plaintext: you can read
21 and write it with a text editor, but that doesn't mean anyone and their
22 mother can easily come along and read it.
25 Jon Portnoy
26 avenj/irc.freenode.net
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list