From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ATTENTION! Broken builds ahead
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:57:26
1 Vapier wrote: [Sat Nov 22 2003, 05:46:59PM EST]
2 > perhaps it isnt as costly as it may seem to move to a gtk1 and a gtk2
3 > USE flag system ...
4
5 No, that doesn't solve the various dilemmas. Some packages provide both
6 gtk1 and gtk2 possibilities (for example app-editors/gvim). Changing
7 gtk to gtk1 doesn't answer the question of which to use when USE="gtk1
8 gtk2". With the current flag semantics, confusing as they are, there is
9 at least a clear choice in that case.
10
11 Unless better reasoning is given, I think we should stick with gtk/gtk2
12 for USE flags. USE=gtk means to use a gtk interface if possible, either
13 gtk1 or gtk2. USE=gtk2 means to prefer gtk2 over gtk1 when there is a
14 choice, such as in gvim. This gives the user the most control.
15
16 Aron
19 Aron Griffis
20 Gentoo Linux Developer (alpha / ia64 / ruby / vim)
21 Key fingerprint = E3B6 8734 C2D6 B5E5 AE76 FB3A 26B1 C5E3 2010 4EB0