From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:37:25
1 On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:10:47AM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Over the years we've had a fairly consistent stream of suggestions that
3 > we should open up the e-build maintaining process to users instead of
4 > just devs. The main arguments against it are the security issues and an
5 > expectation that it would add to developer workloads. The former is
6 > certainly a real problem, although signing (assuming a reasonable
7 > web-of-trust) could mitigate that some (at least we'd know who to
8 > blame). The latter, however, is conjecture, and the only good way to
9 > verify it would be to actually try it and see what happens. Oh, and
10 > there's also a very real fear that if things go horribly wrong, that
11 > Gentoo's reputation would suffer quite badly. Perhaps I'm naive, but I
12 > tend to think that if we were to advertise project sunrise as
13 > experimental, temporary, use-at-your-own-risk, and
14 > might-break-your-system, and even put it on hardware without a
15 > gentoo.org address and add a portage hook that warns whenever the
16 > project sunrise overlay is used, then our reputation isn't really likely
17 > to suffer even if it's a complete disaster.
18 >
19 > So, Chris, what have I failed to address that would make this a really
20 > bad idea?
21
22 As I've said all along - I do not have any problems with Project
23 Sunrise. I have a problem with it being an official project hosted on
24 *.gentoo.org, as I fear most users will think "hey, it's official,
25 it's hosted on *.gentoo.org - it can't be that bad". Judging from the
26 few users who have posted to the previous threads on this subject, my
27 fear seems to be reasonable.
28
29 If the project was to be hosted on a non *.gentoo.org domain (I'll let
30 infra comment on whether or not non *.gentoo.org domains can be hosted
31 on infra hardware) my current issues with this project would be gone.
32
33 If the project proves to be healthy and not affect the reputation of
34 Gentoo in a bad way, we could consider adopting it as an official
35 project after a period of time.
36
37 Sincerely,
38 Brix
39 --
40 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
41 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd