From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:11:13
1 On 03/14/2012 18:14, David Leverton wrote:
2
3 > On 14 March 2012 21:04, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Haveing a separate /usr is wonderful, and once we finish moving /sbin/
5 >> and /bin/ into /usr/ it makes even more sense. See the /usr page at
6 >> fedora for all of the great reasons why this is good.
7 >
8 > My point was examine, in detail, whether separate-/usr-with-initramfs
9 > has any disadvantages compared to separate-/usr-without-initramfs.
10 > Either it has, in which case we have a concrete argument against
11 > requiring initramfs (albeit possibly one that can be fixed), or it
12 > hasn't, which should hopefully convince at least some people to accept
13 > it.
16 I went with a split filesystem design when I built my first Gentoo install
17 back in mid 2003 because at the time, both the Gentoo and Debian security
18 guides referenced it as being an option for a more secure system.
19
20 Specifically so that you could apply mount options to each partition. For
21 example, on /home, you would usually want to do nodev and nosuid, because
22 rarely does a user need the ability to create device nodes and SUID
23 binaries. On /var, nodev, nosuid, and noexec, with the one exception if you
24 ran qmail or a few other packages known to stick executables into /var. For
25 /usr, the guides suggested just nodev, because you rarely, if ever need to
26 create device nodes in /usr. Optionally, you could mount /usr ro and only
27 make it rw if updating packages.
28
29 You won't find A separate /usr mentioned specifically anymore in either
30 security guide, but I'm sure if you dig on the Wayback Machine (once it
31 comes back online), you can probably find these references. Search from
32 2003 to 2007. I'm not certain when they were removed.
35 Joshua Kinard
36 Gentoo/MIPS
37 kumba@g.o
38 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
39
40 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
41 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
42
43 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic