From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] autotools.eclass:eautoreconf now runs autopoint for you
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 18:18:12
1 On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 13:29 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Monday 21 May 2012 12:08:21 Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
3 > > Realistically, every Gentoo machine, with the exception of pure deployment
4 > > installations that don't build any packages (and therefore don't care about
5 > > autotools.eclass anyway), already has intltool installed.
6 >
7 > extending the set of machines that you care about to include all setups is
8 > obviously wrong (i certainly have machines that "build packages" that don't
9 > have intltool installed). and even if that wasn't true, it'd be entirely
10 > irrelevant. spurious dependencies are not acceptable.
11 > -mike
12
13 I apologize; I must have run "equery d intltool" while experimenting
14 with a patched autotools.eclass, and that led me to grossly overestimate
15 the number of packages depending on intltool.
16
17 So you are correct, many Gentoo machines do not have any reason to have
18 intltool installed.
19
20 -Alexandre.