From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About what would be included in EAPI5
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:01:06
1 On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:44:36 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > >>>>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > I believe we consider the user patches feature to be finalised,
5 > > [...]
6 >
7 > I disagree with this. As it is currently worded, every ebuild would be
8 > required would be required to call a special function in src_prepare.
9 > This is the worst possible solution, IMHO.
10
11 Every ebuild that defines its own src_prepare, yes. That's the point:
12 the package mangler can't know where to apply patches itself otherwise,
13 and user patches are rare enough that developers are very likely to
14 forget to check if they aren't made to.
15
16 We had this discussion in the original thread. If we're just looking
17 for a feature that "might work sometimes", there's no point sticking
18 any of this in the EAPI at all.
21 Ciaran McCreesh