From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] x11-libs/lib*: wrong RDEPENDs bug
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:19:02
1 Sorry, some more bits here:
2 AFAIK, Portage considers DEPEND when used as "source-based package manager" (and emerge --depclean stuff) while it ignores them when binpkgs come into play.
3 So, (I ask Zac to correct me), putting x11-protos to DEPEND doesn't really change much for 99% of Portage users (those who are using it to *compile* pkgs). While it changes a lot for binary package managers, which hopefully don't consider DEPEND at all (at least this was the initial idea). The fact is, since Portage binary package management is really and unfortunately a "joke" as of today, the amount of people using it versus the amount of people not using it is really big (that's why I wrote a separate app). Thus, many ebuilds have broken RDEPEND/DEPEND and as you (all) have proven, there is not even a real "container" of build dependencies nor a clear idea among developers (my initial email wanted to bring devs to this exact point, it seems I did it).
4 Moreover, the amount of legacy, undocumented, perhaps *workaroundish* solutions inside Portage codebase are not really helping in fixing this situation. I say, unfortunately, not to blame anybody. A lot of work is being done lately to try to improve it.
8 Fabio Erculiani
9 http://www.sabayon.org
10 http://www.gentoo.org