From: Andrew Ross <aross@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-db/mysqlcc removal
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:19:19
1 On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 23:17, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > > I can't actually say I've used MySQLAdmin, but I've found MySQL CC to be
3 > > quite useful, so I'd rather not have to keep a local copy of the ebuild.
4 >
5 > That's a reason not to drop it. On the other hand, development stopped
6 > upstream, so it will be removed at some time. I suppose you're using 0.9.4,
7 > since there are bug reports regarding 0.9.3?
8
9 Yes, I use 0.9.4. According to b.g.o, there are only 4 open bugs against
10 mysqlcc (http://tinyurl.com/5lojj):
11
12 #41794 (dev-db/mysqlcc-0.9.3 missing files and segfaults) appears to be
13 fixed in 0.9.4, according to the comments (I never encountered the bug
14 myself, even under 0.9.3).
15
16 #57726 (mysqlcc failed to build) hasn't affected me.
17
18 #29689 (mysqlcc returns error during table creation about missing
19 syntax.txt at $HOME/syntax.txt) has an easy workaround, which only has
20 to be performed once.
21
22 #57308 (mysqlcc crashes strangely) hasn't affected me, since our tables
23 remain static. That said, this is a rather serious bug, and I can see
24 why you would like to remove mysqlcc from portage.
25
26 It is indeed unfortunate that the MySQL team (upstream) have dropped
27 support for their older products, while simultaneously claiming their
28 replacements (MySQL Administrator and MySQL Query Browser) are not ready
29 for production use.
30
31 Cheers
32