From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: linux-firmware
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:03:52
1 On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò
2 <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
3 > On 20/02/2013 13:02, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> I'm actually wondering if that makes sense with git when a specific
5 >> commit is referenced, since everything is content-hashed anyway.
6 >> Perhaps we just need to confirm that git actually checks the hash.
7 >
8 > The policy is also because any ebuild relying on a network service to
9 > work cannot be assured to work at any point in time: not only it depends
10 > on the network connection of the user, but it also depends on the
11 > service to be available.
12
13 Makes sense in general.
14
15 If there really are firmware blobs that are only available via git and
16 which cannot be redistributed we might consider whether it makes sense
17 to not support them entirely, or to force them to be masked. Dropping
18 or masking the packages doesn't fix the fact that they require a
19 network service to install - it just makes it harder to install the
20 package.
21
22 If a tarball exists or can be created that would be the best solution
23 all-around, of course.
24
25 Rich