From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: per package eclass GLEP
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:55:28
On 9/20/10 7:30 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
> How does it provide more code sharing than the existing system? > > Previously I could put code I wanted shared: > 1) In a global eclass, which means any ebuild in the tree can likely use it
A global eclass is quite heavyweight. It requires a review on gentoo-dev, is difficult to deprecate, and so on. That's discouraging if you only want to share 2-3 simple functions used by only one package.
> 2) In a pkg eblit
Which is hacky.
> Wouldn't taking code from a global eclass and moving it to a > per-package eclass limit code re-use?
No. It lowers the barrier to entry in cases where the shared code is only useful for one package. It can always be promoted to a global eclass later (with a proven API). Paweł