From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GCC upgrades, FUD and gentoo documentation
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 02:22:16
1 On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 11:33:07 +0000
2 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi guys
5 >
6 > There is some FUD regarding GCC upgrades and I don't have the proper
7 > knowledge to write a correct document on GCC upgrades. As you are currently
8 > aware, we have a GCC upgrade guide [1], but it has seen its last update in
9 > 2008. Since then, things have undoubtedly changed.
10 >
11 > What I can find on GCC upgrades and their apparent need (or no-need) for
12 > rebuilding stuff:
13
14 There are some packages that all need to be built with the same version of
15 GCC. The whole qt-* family is an example, or at least it was a year ago
16 (I'm not using KDE any more). Luckily they tend to be bumped as a unit.
17
18 The biggest problem is building stuff with a newer version of gcc than the
19 "system" version, either outside of portage, or selectively changing back
20 with gcc-config. Programs can get linked to symbols in (usually)
21 libstdc++.so.6 that have a symbol version that doesn't exist in the previous
22 release. When you switch back to using that release as your system compiler,
23 the libstc++ library also gets switched out, and suddenly your
24 gcc-4.6-compiled firefox won't launch. If you've ever gotten a bug report
25 like "libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found" then you've dealt
26 with this.
27
28 This isn't a problem most users encounter, but some do like to try to rebuild
29 some of their system a bit at a time, and this is the reason why I usually
30 recommend they rebuild everything. By making it an all or nothing affair,
31 they're less likely to try hopping back and forth between versions.
35 fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
36 toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
37 @ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662